Can Disease Or Illness Show A False Positive On Drug Tests?

February 3, 2017

Drug Testing Articles

Imagine this: you are sitting in a doctor’s office waiting for the results on a urine drug screen you took a few minutes ago. It could be the longest 5 to 10 minutes in your life if you consumed something to be worried about. If you didn’t take anything, then you don’t have anything to worry about, right? Well in that rare case that you may pop positive for an illegal drug, sometimes it really isn’t your fault and this positive test maybe a blessing in disguise. This might be a good time to ask your doctor about performing tests for Diabetes, Kidney issues, or for Liver problems. Sometimes, body chemistry may play a role in your “false positive” results because of a buildup of chemicals in your body due to the fact that you may have problems with the way you metabolize chemicals.

The truth is that if you have Kidney Infection, Kidney Disease, Liver Disease, or Diabetes, you could get a false positive for THC (Marijuana), Amphetamines, Opiates, Ecstasy, & Cocaine on your drug test. That’s not because of medication; the false positive comes from the body chemistry stemming from these diseases and you may not even know you have it. This is one of the reasons why it’s always a good idea to get a Lab Confirmation or an MRO to look at the sample and results. Some people may find out that they have a life-threatening illness, such as Multiple Sclerosis, may after getting a “false positive” urine drug test simply because there are similar chemicals in the body that test positive for Cocaine, Opiates, and Heroin. Obviously, you can’t make a diagnosis on just a urine drug test alone, but it’s enough to get you to talk about it with your doctor and maybe perform some other tests to make a diagnosis.

What could be the scariest part is if the person has never consumed drugs is tested for adulterants, there are some Pathological conditions that can make the test come back with a positive result, which includes some infectious and inflammatory conditions like sepsis, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, tuberculosis, inflammatory bowel disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis. They are capable of inducing another type of enzyme (i.e., inducible NOS) that can assist the formation of Nitric Oxide radical without the person knowing or being diagnosed with these illnesses. However, these reasons do not explain a nitrite adulterated result.

IF a person who has tested positive for Nitrite without using adulterants, it is strongly advised that they should talk with their physician to run further tests. That’s how some people find out they have these illness’ after they talk with their doctor.

On a side note, a similar situation can happen when the primary chemical produced by testicular cancer causes a false positive pregnancy test for males. No joke! Testicular cancer causes the production of the chemical, beta human chorionic gonadotrophin (beta-HCG). Developing placenta also produces this chemical, causing a pregnancy test to give a positive result when coming in contact the urine of a man with testicular cancer – the test literally assumes the urine is coming from a pregnant woman with developing the placenta.

These are some of the reasons why getting a Lab Confirmation is highly recommended when not just using our products, but any drug test. Besides if you’re a business owner, you could end up saving the life of your employee if the lab confirmation comes back with the reasoning behind the “False Positive”. Any of our many products can be sent off for lab confirmation. Please check our Cross-Reaction Reference Guide to see if any of the medication you are taking is know to cause a false-positive.

What to do if do get a “REAL” false positive?

1. See your doctor – to see if you do have a disease that can cause a false positive.
  2. Contact an Attorney – to help build your case.
  3. Get a lab based drug test – to get a deeper insight into the results.
, , ,

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

20 Comments on “Can Disease Or Illness Show A False Positive On Drug Tests?”

1. Demitrius Watson Says:

I recently had a hair follicle and oral swab drug screen and my hair follicle test cam back positive for Marijuana. I told them it was impossible because I haven’t smoked in over 10yrs. But I’ve been non stop reading and researching because they don’t believe me. I’ve had diabetes for about a year now so I hope that this is the true reason because this could cost me my job.

2. Pamela Pendergrass Says:

I just wanted to know if I have hep c or a fatty liver, could this cause a false positive urine drug test for k2

3. Kaizer raja Says:

I keep showing positive for cocaine by having a hair strand test , I have had cancer and my stomach removed

4. Scott Bartlett Says:

Hey I just had a few questions I have kidney stones in the past and I believe I got a kidney infection right now I just went to probation and reported and I am prescribed amitriptyline Xanax buprenorphine and Adderall and took my drug test this morning he took me in the back room and said I had failed for MDMA cocaine and methamphetamines is this because of the combination of drugs that I take on a daily basis or is this because I have a kidney infection.

• Scott Bartlett Says:

I need some very good advice from somebody that knows what they’re talking about he says if it happens again I’m going down the road and I’ve been clean and sober now for almost a year only do what I’m prescribed but when I urinated in the cup I’ve been peeing like light yellow y mean I’m very hydrated but when I took your analysis when he was watching me it was brown almost red

• Dominick cirelli Says:

Thank you very much this just may show that I am being honest with my doctor I had tested positive for cocaine I have kidney problems I have all cirrhosis of the liver I had colon surgery and now my back is being so my doctor and drop me because I’m on methadone and Norcos and it come up positive for cocaine I have not used cocaine he said even one meeting was heroin several months ago but this was untrue to I explain to the doctor this ain’t possible I ain’t been using these illegal drugs. So you guys just mad and I thank you very much.

• Courtney McClellan Says:

The medication you are on can and will cause false positive drug test. Here is a website you can go to look up your meds. Print out the list and hand it to your P.O. I hope this helps you.

5. John Carter Says:

I just developed diabetes and have False Positive Tested 3 months in a row and lost my medication… i am taking metformin but dont know what is fallaciously testing positive for thc

6. Dorville Douglas buff Says:

Thank you so much for your answer to my question can ammonia in the bloodstream show positive for THC on a drug test because I knew damn well that I didn’t smoke and almost lost my pain doctor whom I love dearly because he understands my sicknesses all of them except for the hepatitis C with cirrhosis at resting now has been since 2016 thank you so much may God bless this company

7. Shannon Says:

I need help; I’m continually testing positive for benzoylecognine (metabolite of cocaine) and I swear to you I’m not using it, I previously had a liver issue and was given a groundbreaking medicine that cured me, but there could be damage. Anyone familiar with this? I read where some labs can confuse something my body is putting off as benzoylecognine as it’s very similar, in the lab. My tests are being sent to a lab but I think it’s a cheap one

• 2 Knife Says:

I am in the same boat you are I havent done cocaine in over 25 years and I came up positive in a drug urine test for cocaine last week. I have contacted 5 different liver specialist Including my own and all of them say there is no chance a liver disease can throw a positive for cocaine if you find other information please share with me I may lose my job

8. Sherry Says:

I have cirrhosis high blood pressure high cholesterol anxiety bipolar medication fibormyalga spinal stenois had a urine test it came out postive for cocaine. Hpw was this possible??????

9. Brooke Says:

Is this a reliable thread

10. Kimberley Garza Says:

I came up positive for cocaine. But I did’t do cocaine. It didn’t come up for the metabolites benzogloconine. I have a court case this is riding on. I was taking stacker 2 (diet pills, no ephenedrine) and I am diabetic. How can I make the courts see that I shouldn’t be positive? The send to quest so I figured they would be accurate. Could I have been contaminated? It was oral swab.

11. Chasity J Laxton Says:

I have lupus and I went to stay with my daughter since I was out of work come to find out her and her husband had been doing meth so when I was ask to test I had no problem since I did not use the stuff but I was told it was positive could I have gotten it in my system from being in the house where it was smoked and a low immune system

12. Jeffrey mullin Says:

Green stool for period of time.With serve head pain left sude if my mouth has a hole in it from surgury when my jaw was broken.i can feel a infection starting and then green stool that caused bad head pain stomach pain and i have been sleeping fir ling periods of time.then i failed a drug test of methamphetamines and I haven’t used no methamphetamines to the infection internal infection call Al false readings on drug screening and at a laboratory